Lloyd's is creating an Innovation Lab to maintain Lloyd’s profitability and relevance in a changing and challenging environment, and to showcase the spirit of innovation at Lloyd’s. The Lab will be located in the Lloyd’s Building and will create a fast-track, fast-fail environment where ideas focused on finding solutions for Lloyd’s challenges and creating opportunities for profitable growth can be developed to proof of concept stage.
Lloyd's is assigning a provider (company to be confirmed) who will assist in establishing and managing day to day operation of the Lab, as well as source teams/start-ups to populate the Lab and to progress their ideas.
Lloyd’s now requires a creative, curious and technically/insurance-oriented Lab Leader to support the Head of Innovation to deliver a successful Lab experience for teams working in the Lab and Lloyd’s Market practitioners supporting and contributing to the work of the Lab and to co-ordinate all aspects of the day-to-day running of the Lab.
To be the face of the Lloyd’s Innovation Lab.
To ensure the successful promotion, delivery and operation of Lloyd’s Innovation Lab, including management of all internal and external stakeholders, maintenance of the Lab’s governance framework (including managing the relationship with the provider company) and co-ordination and showcasing of Lab teams’ activities and progress.
What Will You Do
- Working with the Lab provider, to co-ordinate the Lab team selection and intake process (including from the Lloyd’s Market), consulting with the Innovation Steering Committee.
- Accountable for the structure of the Lab sessions by cohort and themes/challenges to be addressed in co-ordination with the Innovation Steering Committee.
- Accountable as the primary interface between the provider, Lab teams, Market practitioners, the Corporation and other third parties as required, including facilitating market involvement in the Lab and coordinating appropriate mentoring and technical support for the Lab teams.
- To ensure appropriate tools, skills, facilities and support structures are in place to enable the Lab teams to develop proofs of concept.
- To work with the provider and other key stakeholders (both senior and more junior) to arrange demos of proofs of concept and pilots of concepts emerging from the Lab
- To be the on-site Lloyd’s representative for the Lab and oversee the management of the day-to-day Lab operations and financials.
- Accountable for internal and external comms, brand and marketing in coordination with Lloyd’s and the providers comms teams.
- To lead all activities in respect of the Lab Innovation Showcase area which will feature the latest cutting edge innovation and work of the Lab. Manage the administration of the ideas pipeline and resource allocation.
- Be accountable for all aspects of Lab management and line manage the Innovation Lab Associate.
- Be accountable for the co-ordination of all activities (meetings, minutes, actions etc) of the Innovation Steering Committee and ensure effective liaison with the Innovation Investment Committee (including making proposals for investment) and organise events on a large scale to promote the Lab.
What You'll Need
- Outstanding leadership to effectively manage and track multiple projects
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Ability to lead through influence to drive change and achieve results in a large matrixed organisation
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Collaborative and engaging working style
- Proficient at coaching and mentoring multiple areas of specialisation
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Ability to prioritise, solve complex problems and make decisions
- Attention to detail
- Ability to help members of the Lab staff to troubleshoot wide-ranging problems
- Proven track record of driving complex estimates that take one or more projects into account and effectively communicating risks and dependencies to stakeholders
- Proven record of managing to profitability
- Ability to develop clear and concise communications
- Orientation towards strategic and holistic thinking
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think with a start-up/entrepreneurial mind-set
- Ability to work independently and work with a team
- Awareness of key industry data, technology and business trends
- The Lab Leader should ideally have an insurance background and understand the challenges that the Lloyd’s Market currently faces and be interested in the opportunities that innovation can bring.
- This job requires a blend of strategic thinking, insurance business acumen, stakeholder management, technical know-how and flexibility as well as sustained curiosity. This role will extend Lloyd’s technical horizon through the investigation of innovative and disruptive approaches for important long-term Lloyd’s use cases.
The Lab Leader must be:
- Familiar with all forms of digital technologies and passionate about and motivated by emerging technologies including those in AI, Machine Learning, Augmented and Virtual Reality, IOT, Blockchain
- Able to communicate enthusiastically on Lab projects and express her/his point of view (written and oral) in a clear and compelling manner across diverse groups including senior stakeholders and Lab visitors, as well as supporting the Lloyd’s Communication team and Data Lab team as required on Lab related queries
- Comfortable with managing a number of stakeholders and organising and planning large scale events to promote the Lab
- Comfortable in responding to urgent ad hoc queries and requests
- Professional experience with relevant background
- Prior experience developing and leading projects
- Experience in positions requiring management
- Prior experience working in multiple modern technical platforms (Cloud-based solutions, Mobile apps, Desktop solutions)